I decided after the first attempt that the pasta needed to be cooked before adding to the dish. So I poached the sheets gently in simmering water for about 3 minutes then drained them on kitchen towel.
Before that I made a good batch of David’s tomato sauce and in a separate pan I sautee’d mushrooms with garlic and then some whole leaf spinach and left it to cool.
Then it was simply a matter of layering it up – sauce, pasta, spinach and mushroom, lookey-likey soya mozarella (yes, I know, but I thought I’d give it a go), pasta, sauce, pasta, sauce, lookey-likey cheese.
It has just come out of the oven (45 minutes at 190C) and I am leaving it to reduce from scorchio to tolerable before dishing up. With an extremely healthy salad that includes my home spun sprouted seeds and a very garlicky dressing. I’ll be crocheting macrame saucepan holders next! If it looks good when I slice it I will post another picture. If you don’t see one here, it didn’t hold together that well!
40 minutes later……..
So.Here it is. Held together nicely. These are the lessons learned:
- tofu pasta freezes well
- the lasagne sheets benefit from ‘poaching’ before use
- use plenty of sauce because it will be absorbed by the pasta
- season everything really well because the pasta will ‘dull’ the seasoning
- dont bother with the looked-likey tofu mozzarella – it didnt add anything
- have at least four layers of pasta then it will hold its shape when you cut it.